David Falk has followed soccer in the Puget Sound region since 1974. This blog covers Sounders FC, local college soccer, Seattle Wolves FC, Tacoma Tide FC and Kitsap Pumas. Send tips or comments to: goalseattle@gmail.com
Click logos for specific club blogs & news

Seattle Soccer Examiner

Seattle Soccer Examiner

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Wolves and Redhawks go scoreless in friendly

From www.SeattleWolvesFC.com

In another heated battle between two of the area’s best football clubs, Seattle University and the Seattle Wolves FC ended their Monday evening friendly match in a 0-0 draw, the same result as when the two teams faced each other in the Spring.

The late kick-off didn’t stop Seattle U parents and supporters from making the trek down to Starfire, and they saw a great match too. From the first whistle, tackles flew as both sides felt they had something to prove. The Wolves fresh off their Kennedy Cup Championship over the weekend, made several changes to their cup roster, including welcoming midfielder Matt Hulen (SU alum) back to the line-up, and an entirely new starting back four. The Wolves defensive four played well throughout the 90 minute match. Brian Lubeck (formerly of PLU) got his first cap in Wolves’ kit, and played very well at center back with veteran Donald Bressler. Brandon Sprague was also back from a foot injury, making his first start in nearly a month and a half.

Seattle Wolves free kick. Photos by Andrew Peterson.

The Brad Agoos-led SU side brought a large roster (26 players), and substituted often, which may have affected their play, but was vital to seeing almost everyone play in preparation for their first season back in NCAA Division 1 soccer. Familiar faces of Ian Walsh, Mutanda Kwesele, Sean Rawson, Sean Morris, and Derek Rogalsky (DNP) were on hand for the Redhawks side.
The match was a fairly open affair during the first 15 minutes, with the Redhawks trying to outrun the older Wolves’ side. “They came at us hard from the first whistle. It is obvious that this team is
aggressive, motivated, and looking forward to their season.” – Clay Walton-House, Wolves’ forward.

The Wolves calmed the pace of the game by dominating aerial play and possession in the back, and midfielders Willie Cardenas, Matt Hulen and Pedro Batres held the ball effectively for much of the match. For most of the first half the Wolves struggled to convert any possession into quality offensive opportunities. SU had a few early, but the threesome of Bressler, Lubeck and GK, Chris Natale (SU alum) proved to be up to the task.

A tense half-time speech by Wolves’ captain, Matt Hulen, urged his forwards to maintain possession, and Solomon Gold and Patrick Davidson reacted immediately putting pressure on the SU goal in the second half. Several attempts right in front of the SU net were smothered by a Redhawk defensive line that was determined not to go down a goal. And, when Mutanda Kwesele missed one of SU’s best chances on net in the second half, players from both sides began to realize that this match was destined to end, just as their first meeting in the Spring, a scoreless deadlock.

In the end, players embraced, congratulating each other on their great efforts, and wishing each other well with their upcoming seasons. SU next faces the University of Washington in an exhibition match this Friday (8/22) at 7:00pm (Husky Field – University of Washington campus). Wolves coach, Ryan Dortch, addressed the team after the match, saying “That’s a good result. Yeah, we wanted to win. We always want to win, but I was pleased with your defensive performance.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get gear and support this blog at the same time!