David Falk has followed soccer in the Puget Sound region since 1974. This blog covers Sounders FC, local college soccer, Seattle Wolves FC, Tacoma Tide FC and Kitsap Pumas. Send tips or comments to: goalseattle@gmail.com
Click logos for specific club blogs & news

Seattle Soccer Examiner

Seattle Soccer Examiner

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Husky soccer stars John and Cox prepare for MLS Combine


University of Washington Seniors George John and Raphael Cox will be at the Major League Soccer scouting combine in Florida this weekend trying to impress the gathering of scouts, coaches and MLS executives in advance of next week's SuperDraft.

John, a midfielder from Shoreline, Wash., and Cox, a midfielder from Tacoma, Wash., both culminated their collegiate careers at UW this past fall and were first-team All-Pac-10 honorees. John, who was also tabbed a preseason candidate for the 2008 MAC Hermann Trophy, earned a first-team nod NSCAA All-Far West Region team as well.

John and Cox are getting some press both locally and nationally.

In the Seattle Times, Jose Romero quotes Cox in regards to his work ethic in college. "It shows that my hard work didn't go unnoticed by the college coaches as well as the MLS coaches. I'm just going to go down there and give it my all."


Goal.com visits with George John. "A dream scenario for me would just to be drafted," John says in the interview. "It doesn't matter to me what team drafts me just so long as I get a chance to make a roster and show that I can play at the professional level. However, being drafted by the Sounders would definitely be very special to me because I grew up in the Seattle area and have been here my entire life. In addition, it would be beneficial because staying in Seattle would make it much easier for me to finish up my degree at the UW."

Cox also is interviewed by Sean Grybos at GOAL.com "I would love to stay home and play in front of all my family and friends here in Seattle, but I'm not ruling out any other teams. I want to play soccer for a living. And I want that to be with any team that really wants me as a part of their franchise."

Photo credits: Top, Raphael Cox attacks for Tacoma Tide FC (yellow) last summer, by David Falk. Bottom, George John and the Huskies take on the Sounders last spring in Kent, by Jenni Conner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get gear and support this blog at the same time!