David Falk has followed soccer in the Puget Sound region since 1974. This blog covers Sounders FC, local college soccer, Seattle Wolves FC, Tacoma Tide FC and Kitsap Pumas. Send tips or comments to: goalseattle@gmail.com
Click logos for specific club blogs & news

Seattle Soccer Examiner

Seattle Soccer Examiner

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Sounder 'hold-outs' rewarded in the end


by blogger Shotgun Prose

I held out picking an MLS team to follow ...

In 1996 I faced the same dilemma other Seattle Sounders fans faced ... do I choose a team in MLS to support?

See ... here was the problem ... I had a team, even if it was now in what was to be considered the 2nd Division ... I had no idea if and or when I would have a local MLS team to support, but I had a sense that Seattle would get a team eventually ... I watched games and cheered for players and good games ... but, still I held out, not allowing myself to get too attached to any MLS side ...

It did not take long for MLS to make the now infamous 2002 promise during the electoral push for funding for what has become Qwest Field ... 2002 felt like a long way away, but I held out ...

And then Crew Stadium got built, the MLS changed commissioners, and the economics of the game led to a brief contraction ... but still, I held out ...

And then Qwest Field opened and the Sounders played in it ... and despite its size, I held out ...

And then the Sounders beat MLS teams in the Open Cup and when they played MLS teams the crowds were significantly larger ... and still I held out ...

And then MLS started expanding to places like Salt Lake City and added a 2nd LA team ... and still I held out ...

And then it happened ... and I went to the George & Dragon on Veteran's Day in 2007 and Drew Carey put on an Emerald City Supporters scarf and told us what we want to hear ...

A year from now I will not be trying to find the Sounders on FSC on a Friday night USL Game of the Week against Atlanta ... I can watch the Sounders FC on ESPN2 on a Thursday playing DC United ...

The ride in the USL has had some ups and downs but it has been worth staying with the home side and waiting for the move up ... and next weekend I plan on being in Qwest Field for the last ever home opener of the Seattle Sounders ...

and the notion that patience pays off rings true ...

1 comment:

  1. In the Summer of 1991 the Storm was no longer playing and there was no outdoor team in the area to support ... I went to BC 3 times that summer to see games, but at the end of the summer I realized that I still could not root for a team that my team had played every year in friendlies (the 86ers and Storm played a number of times) ... So, much like i can not ever root for the Trailblazers should the Sonics really leave .... I could not just jump on the nearest local team's bandwagon ...

    ReplyDelete

Get gear and support this blog at the same time!